Finds of the week:
- Bedsharing Rocks, Gregarious Peach — I love the joy in this post and the photo of those delicious baby toes (and cloth-diapered bottom!). Even though I greatly enjoy not nursing all night or feeling squished off the bed, I do often miss having Miss Nora in bed with us. If only we had a king, she’d probably still be there!
- Following Federal Guidelines To Increase Nutrient Consumption May Lead To Higher Food Costs For Consumers — a new study from the University of Washington arguing that because of the way foods are subsidized, it will cost everyone more money to follow the recommendations of the government’s MyPlate food guide than to eat junk. Not sure that I completely buy this given my current food budgeting experiment.
- Giving Birth Naturally in Hong Kong, the Land of the Lucky, InCulture Parent — Marvelous birth story for a foreigner living in China. Who knew that most Chinese babies are born by planned elective c-section? I never would have thought.
- The French Are Getting Fatter, Too, NPR – But still way, way behind the US obesity rates and fighting it: “From the start, French children are taught to respect the ritual of mealtimes and the beauty of a well-balanced diet. At one public day care center in Paris, 2-and-a-half-year-olds sit around a table for a hot lunch. The tiny diners wear napkins at their necks and are taught the proper use of cutlery. A recent menu featured grilled leg of lamb and cauliflower au gratin, all freshly prepared in the day care’s own kitchen. Obesity rates are rising in France, but how the French are eating is seen as more influential than what they eat. Even at this age, the French believe dinnertime should be a moment of pleasure and conviviality. In France, starting each child with a solid culinary base in life is considered well worth the investment in time and money.”
- Tips for tandem breastfeeding a baby & toddler, Hobo Mama — This is a FABULOUS piece on tandem nursing and how she makes it work. Very detailed and well-written.
1. Vintage floral and striped decorative clips 2. Crochet Daisy Brooch 3. 50 Assorted Library Cards 4. Departure – Leather Journal 5. 16×16 inch Free Spirit Fabrics Collage Pillow Cover 6. Classic Red and Blue Business Calling Cards 7. Greeting Card: “Carrot monster” 8. Family Cluster Necklace 9. Fawn Vinyl Wall Decal
See more of my Etsy favorites here.