Things I like. Things I mention in posts. Things that inspire me. Things worth sharing with you.
Blogs I Follow
- Color Me Katie - So happy, fun and colorful!
- Documenting Delight - Australian mom of two and photographer sharing amazing photos of her adorable kiddos and life
- Enjoying the Small Things - A great “mama-blog” about life with two girls, one of whom has Down’s Syndrome (also, check out her book!)
- Her Bad Mother - Blog about motherhood, womanhood, and life, often through a philosophical lens
- Posie Gets Cozy - This blog is just beautiful. I want my life to look like this.
- The Writer’s Almanac - a poem a day keeps the doctor away
Food and Recipe Resources
- Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver - A book about living one year on a completely local diet.
- Bake. Eat. Repeat. - A very approachable cooking blog
- Food Politics - Marion Nestle’s blog about healthy eating and food culture/politics in the US
- Fooducate - A blog and smart phone app that demystifies ingredient lists, nutrition labels, health claims and marketing hype
- In Defense of Food: An Eater’s Manifesto by Michael Pollan - Because in the Western diet, food has been replaced by nutrients, and common sense by confusion–most of what we’re consuming today is longer the product of nature but of food science. This book further explores the question of what we should eat that comes down to seven simple but liberating words: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.” Follow up to The Omnivore’s Dilemma. You should read this.
- Janae Monir – Delicious recipes, great photography, on a clean & simple site
- Joy the Baker - I’ve had lots of success with her recipes
- Michael Pollan’s Publish2 Site - Author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma shares links to recent news about food and food politics
- The Omnivore’s Delimna by Michael Pollan - A book about the ethics and impact behind our food choices, and what goes into the food we eat. You should read this, too.
- Smitten Kitchen - My fantasy cooking blog/food porn…and even Chef Chris loves her food!
- Spoonfed – Raising kids to think about the food they eat
Parenting, Pregnancy, Baby Resources
- Bountiful, Beautiful, Blissful: Experience the Natural Power of Pregnancy and Birth with Kundalini Yoga and Meditation by Gurmukh Kaur Khalsa - A book full of wisdom, information, and inspiration for pregnancy and motherhood based on the spiritual and physical practices of Kundalini yoga. Includes meditations and yoga postures for expectant mothers.
- The Business of Being Born – Documentary about childbirth in America; every woman should see this
- La Leche League – Free mother-to-mother breastfeeding support group; find breasting information here or your local group here
- Motherlode - NY Times blog about parenting
- Parentry – Lisa Belkin’s blog about parenting at the Huffington Post
- Pediatrics – The professional journal of the American Academy of Pediatricians. You can search for studies and read policy statements related to child and infant health; also has an RSS feed which publishes abstracts of the most recently published research so you always know what your pediatrician knows.
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care by Jennifer Block – The best, most informative, book about our current model of maternity care, how we got to where we are today, and what it means for expectant women. Even better than The Business of Being Born.
- Stand and Deliver - Blog about childbirth, maternity care, breastfeeding, and women’s issues. Lots of information about birth and, especially, home birth from a PhD.
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding - The breastfeeding bible: everything you need to know from pregnancy to weaning.
- Au Coeur Design – My website and graphic design site
- Blue Host – My favorite website hosting company
- Etsy – Buy handmade stuff
- Find me on Facebook – Visit my Facebook Page!
- Genesis – A theme framework that super powers WordPress sites (I won’t build a website without it!)
- P.E.O. International Website – A philanthropic sisterhood, mission: educating women. I’m a third generation P.E.O.!
- Pinterest - All kinds of inspiration for everything under the sun
- What I’m Reading – My twitter feed, where I record everything I’m reading (started 13 March 2010)
- WordPress – The blogging/content management software with which I build all my websites
For more of my favorite things, check back for my “Saturday Surfing” feature, which has links to articles, blogs, and my favorite Pinterest Pins finds from the previous week. Read past Saturday Surfing posts here.