- Posie Gets Cozy — I discovered this blog somewhat recently, and I love it. The pictures are gorgeous (something to aspire to) and look at the birthday cake she made herself!
- A Recipe for Simplifying Life: Ditch All the Recipes, NY Times Well blog — “Anybody who grew up with a lot of home cooking around them knows that you can have eggs for dinner or that lentils can become pancakes tomorrow,” I want this book!
- Rick Santorum: States Should Have Power To Ban Birth Control, Sodomy, Huffington Post — I don’t talk politics much (aside from food politics), but this just scares me. I can think of a million reasons why it ethically wrong to ban birth control and sodomy, as well as plenty of bad outcomes from banning these things…but really, I don’t understand how these bans can be ok with someone who is supposedly for less government intervention in private lives.
“The political impact of allowing state legislatures to make decisions on social issues such as birth control, abortion and sex acts could be massive. In 2011 alone, state GOP lawmakers introduced 600 bills restricting abortion and passed a record 91 of those bills, and five states placed new restrictions on access to birth control and family planning. The 24 states that passed abortion restrictions stopped short of banning abortion entirely, only because they would face lengthy court battles if they passed bills that fly in the face of Supreme Court precedents preventing states from placing an “undue burden” on a woman’s ability to seek an abortion.”
- A Time to Tune Out, NY Times — New Years resolutions to curb smart phone addictions…by employers of all things!
- Nantucket La Leche League Now Offering Saturday Meetings — led by me!! (Plus a good look at what exactly goes on at LLL meetings.)
- Nantucket Prenatal Yoga — Shared information about upcoming classes taught by a local yoga instructor.
- Obesity in the Teen Years Linked to Early Mother-Child Bond — research which found the relationships we have now with our toddlers can impact their future weight and health. I explore the connection to breastfeeding not examined in the study.
- Turn Your Picky Eater into a Healthy Eater — new research on using tangible rewards to encourage children to try new foods.
- Winter Classes Are Scheduled
I didn’t do any Etsy surfing this week, but here’s a video Chris found that I thought everyone would love.