Finds of the Week:
- Apple Juice and Arsenic: It’s the Sugar, Dummy, Fooducate — I’m a big proponent of no juice, too. We don’t buy it all all anymore. Nora drinks water and occasionally whole milk or decaf herbal tea. As a treat, we break out the juicer (usually to make carrot juice) or she’ll get a cup of tomato juice (when I’m using my canned tomatoes for something else). Less sugar to worry about, less money out of our grocery budget, and (apparently) less arsenic and lead too. Win, win, win.
- The Best 10 Books of 2011, NY Times and Riveting Reads: The Best Fiction of 2011, Oprah — for the quiet Nantucket winter?
- The Family Tablecloth, She Wears Many Hats — I really neat idea for a custom embroidered tablecloth
- Siri Doesn’t Know About Your Lady Stuff, Slate XX Factor — Siri fails to produce good results if you ask it for birth control or abortion services, yet has no problem finding you viagra.
- Study Finds Turtle Embryos Communicate To Synchronize Hatching, NPR — I just though this was neat.
This week on Papoose:
- Just One Bottle Won’t Hurt – Or Will It? — research summary by Marsha Walker, a registered nurse and IBCLC in Massachusetts, about how one bottle of formula impacts a baby
- Stroll 2011 Family-Friendly Events — This weekend’s events for families on-island
- What is a CLC — I describe the training/testing I had to earn my lactation counselor certification, plus the scope of practice.
- Why Free Formula Hurts Mothers and Babies — My response to Rhode Island hospitals’ joint decision to end giving away formula samples as new mothers go home with their babies
And, Etsy Love, because it’s December that that makes me want snow:
1. Let it Snow – Holiday Letterpress Cards 2. Red Fox in the Snow – Quilt Fabric Art 3. Snowy New England Landscape Green Barn on 5 inch diameter black slate with leather holder 4. Snow White Felt Bird 5. Falling Snowflake Necklace 6. Snowflake Ornament 7. New England Winter-Scape No.88 8. Christmas Tree Painting 9. LET IT SNOW Glittered Burlap Banner
See more of my Etsy favorite here.